Designed by Karman Aladar in 1902, this Secessionist style building anchors a row of three similar structures fronting the north side of the Szabadsag square. The six phase renovation organizes occupants within the Chancery according to their access and security demands. For security reasons, the plan also relocated the Consular section and waiting room to street level to provide easy access for the public alleviating queuing within of the building.
Highly detailed phasing plans permitted minimum relocation of personnel and maintenance of operation and diplomatic mission throughout the multi-year project. Forensic investigations included sampling and testing of brick masonry, mortar, steel beams, and geotechnical work within the existing structure to support new elevator cores. The exterior preservation work and interior design in public areas capitalized on the skills of local trades and craftsmen to produce architecture sympathetic to its historic environment.
U.S. Department of State, OBO
• Master Planning
• Historic Preservation
• Construction Administration