The 1903 Palladian-style consulate originally served as German headquarters during World War II. Given Zagreb's location in a Zone 3 seismic zone and frequency of earthquakes, seismic structural improvements were integral to the renovation. Reinforced masonry replaced a weak glass commercial storefront on the ground level of the east façade. The project preserved the stucco façade and rebuilt deteriorated balconies of the building. As part of a worldwide security upgrade of Department of State Embassies, the design added a marine guard booth and renovated the public access control using bronze and marble finishes that complement the building's original design. The building's historical importance required local preservation agency review and approval for the renovation design and additions to the building.